It’s a collaboration that’s never happened before, a collaboration that will result in a one-of-a-kind 2011 Mustang that simply will be without equal. For the first time ever, Carroll Shelby and Jack Roush were on site to meet with Ford Motor Company to design, engineer and produce the SR-71, a vehicle inspired by the SR-71 “Blackbird,” the long-range reconnaissance USAF aircraft built by Lockheed Martin.
For the last three years, the Ford Motor Company has provided EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) with unique auction vehicles that have raised over one million dollars for EAA’s Young Eagles program. The Young Eagles Auction takes place each year at AirVenture, EAA’s annual air show and gathering. Ford Motor Company has been a proud supporter of EAA and Young Eagles for the past 15 years by providing various vehicles and donations each year to be raffled and auctioned off.
The SR-71 Mustang (S for Shelby, R for Roush) is being built at the ROUSH facility in Livonia, Michigan, with the participation and input of all parties involved. As inspiration, the Lockheed Martin SR-71 took it’s first flight in 1964, the first year the Ford Mustang was produced. The SR-71 “Blackbird” holds all official airspeed and altitude records and is the most technically advanced and unique aircraft ever produced. It was an aircraft loaded from end-to-end with features that, to this day, are still admired and copied.
The SR-71 Mustang will be packed with special and unique features as well, right down to the embroidered signatures of Jack Roush and Carroll Shelby in the exclusive racing seats. With Carroll Shelby’s history as an USAF flight instructor and Jack Roush as a well known P-51 Mustang pilot, the objective was to hand build a highly valued vehicle that would excite both enthusiasts and collectors alike. Also, the vehicle will be on display to generate enthusiasm and excitement for the 500,000 plus AirVenture attendees July, 26th through July 31st.
The auction for the SR-71 Mustang will take place on Thursday, July 29,th at 7:30 PM ( Central Time) at the EAA Museum in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
The SR-71 Mustang Vehicle Specifications:
- All-new aluminum block 5.0-lite Ti-VCT V8 engine with a 2.3-liter Whipple Twin Screw Supercharger with Ford Racing calibration and Roush intake
- Ford Racing Handling Pack
- Ford Racing tuned exhaust and tips
- SVT Track Pack wheels in custom paint (19-inch in front, 20-inch in rear)
- Glass roof with unique graphic treatment
- Unique non-production matte and silver exterior paint treatment with SR-71 cues
- Custom Recaro race seats featuring embroidered signatures of Jack Roush and Carroll Shelby
- Custom racing steering wheel
- Rear seat removed to accentuate cockpit environment
- Ford Racing performance gauge cluster
- Modified navigation screen and instrument cluster
- Roll cage
- Custom IP badging, sill plates and floor mats